Ever since the rose gold Iphone came out, I have been in love with the color. I actually loved it so much I decided that my new room theme would involve rose gold and marble accents. The process of changing a whole room theme takes serious time, so I’ve decided to start small and revamp a bookshelf I’ve had for around 2 years. I originally bought the bookshelf from Office Depot in black, and I feel like it’s time to spice it up a little. This is the first room decor DIY that I’ve done that is an actual piece of furniture, so it may not be the best, but I’m hoping that the end product will match my room a little more than the black.
What You Need:
- A bookshelf
- Contact paper (mine was marble, but you can do whatever pattern you’d like, you can buy a whole roll for around $7 at Lowes)
- Spray paint (I used Rust-olleum’s metallic rose gold, but you can use any color to match your room)
*I recommend painting your shelves white if they aren’t already because lighter colors of contact paper (like marble) tend to be somewhat sheer
- Wipe off any dust that may be on your shelves
- Take apart your bookshelf as much as you can(if it’s already assembled) *don’t lose any screws!! (forgot to take pictures of this step)
- If your bookshelf is already painted, lightly sand it down to help the spray paint stick better (use primer if you’d like)
- Spray paint the sides, screws, and any other part that isn’t a shelf with your main color (rose gold)
- Paint your shelves white (if you need to)
- Measure your contact paper to cover the top and sides of your shelves
- Apply the contact paper to your shelves in sections to prevent bubbles
- Screw all of your pieces back together to form the original bookshelf
Overall, I am so happy with the way this bookshelf turned out. It will definitely match my room theme a lot more than the black, and I can’t wait until I have the rest of my room decorated.