The Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink liquid lipsticks have been out for quite some time now. Since their initial release in 2017 of the Original collection, they've come out with more collections and colors. These collections are the Original, Un-Nude, City Edition, and most recent: the Coffee Edition. I've loved the Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink liquid lipsticks for about a year now, and they are my go-to when I need a liquid lipstick that will last. Not to mention, the drugstore price tag makes the collection even better. When I found out Maybelline was releasing a Coffee Edition, I HAD to try it out. The first thing I noticed was each lipstick in the collection was scented like the drink it was named after. Seeing this, I wanted to see how the Coffee Edition lipsticks compared to the originals and if there was any difference in the formulas. Keep reading to see swatches of the colors I own, my thoughts on the SuperStay liquid lipsticks, and how I feel specifically about the Coffee Edition!
- Pioneer: Original Pioneer is a classic red. I usually wear it with a liner because it is a bright red, and a liner gives it a little more definition.
- Voyager: Original Voyager is a darker red, closer to burgundy, and it's one of my favorite liquid lipsticks to wear in the Fall and Winter.
- Amazonian: Un-Nude Amazonian is the perfect pinky-nude for anytime of year. It's my go-to for whenever I want a neutral, barely there lip color.
- Fighter: Un-Nude Fighter is also a nude and is very to close to Amazonian. Fighter is more on the brown side while Amazonian is more pink. Fighter is definitely going to be my go-to nude during the Fall season.
- Globe-Trotter: City Edition Globe-Trotter is another nude. However, it is VERY close to orange. When I bought this, I was not expecting it to be so orange, and I probably will not wear it. In my opinion, it was just too orange for my skin tone. Also, Globe- Trotter looked a lot brighter in person than it did on camera.
- Cocoa Connoisseur: Coffee Edition Cocoa Connoisseur is a classic cocoa brown that is the perfect shade for Fall. It's not too dark, but dark enough to be easily noticed.
- Mocha Inventor: Coffee Edition Mocha Inventor was the darkest shade of the Coffee Edition collection. It's a very dark brown with red undertones.This one gave me major Christmas time vibes; I could see it with a ton of winter or Christmas party outfits. I cannot wait until Winter, so I can wear this shade 24/7!
Review of the SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipsticks
Maybelline is a drugstore makeup brand, and these liquid lipsticks retail for about 6 to 9 dollars depending on where you purchase them. I always think the price is completely worth it because these lipsticks have NEVER let me down. However, there is somewhat of a learning curve with these. The biggest complaint in reviews of the Matte Ink liquid lipsticks is that they are sticky. I have found this to be true if you use too much of the product. For me, I usually take the applicator out and wipe the excess off on the opening of the bottle and it's the perfect amount to cover my lips.
Applicator of "Cocoa Connoisseur"
Also, the applicator itself has a hole in the center, so I've found that applying pressure while applying the lipstick will dispense more product. The lipstick is easily buildable, but it's best to apply thin layers and allow them to dry before applying the next. Otherwise, it will be thick, sticky, and never dry down completely. When applied correctly, this lipstick NEVER transfers for me. It stays exactly where I applied it and ONLY where I applied it no matter what. These lipsticks also claim to last for hours. I have found this to be completely true, and the Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipsticks are the most reliable lipsticks I own. The first time I wore one, I wore the shade Voyager to a school dance. I applied it once at around 5 pm, and it was still perfect after dinner to take pictures without reapplication. Even at 10 pm after the dance, it was still intact and hadn't budged. I've also worn Amazonian for an 8 hour school day, and it's the only lipstick that lasts the entire day without reapplication. I typically wear the shade Pioneer for 2-3 hour long dance performances, and it does not budge. No matter how much I sweat or how much water I drink, I never have to touch up or reapply once. It's also never messed up a costume because it DOES NOT transfer. I've even slept in it just to test its longevity, and it still looks great in the morning. These lipsticks don't come off until you scrub them off with makeup remover. I do recommend doing a lip scrub before applying these because they stick to dry patches and sit into cracks, and it's not always the most flattering. They can also be very drying after wearing for a long time, so it's best to apply lip balm after removing them.
There are 5 shades in the Coffee Edition collection: Caramel Collector, Chai Genius, Cocoa Connoisseur, Hazelnut Hypnotizer, and Mocha Inventor. They all claim to be scented like the drink or type of coffee they are named after, so I wondered if the scents would affect or change the formulas in any way. The first difference I noticed about these lipsticks was the packaging. Every other SuperStay Matte Ink lipstick has a white lid, but the Coffee Edition lipsticks had a dark brown lid with very subtle light brown glitters. I've always loved the scents of these lipsticks. It reminds me of cake icing, yet it's very subtle. Upon opening Cocoa Connoisseur, I didn't notice an immediate scent. It wasn't until I intentionally smelled it that I noticed it smelled exactly like cocoa powder. It literally smelled as if they poured cocoa powder into the bottle. For Mocha Inventor, I noticed the scent as soon as I opened it. It smelled much stronger than Cocoa Connoisseur, and it smelled like a melted chocolate bar, which totally makes sense because mocha is typically coffee with chocolate added. Both scents were pleasant and unnoticeable once the lipstick was applied. The only time I could see the scents being an issue is if you don't like the smell of caramel, chai, hazelnut, or chocolate. Other than the scents, the formulas seemed to be exactly the same as the other SuperStay Matte Ink liquid lipsticks.
Overall, I absolutely love these lipsticks, and I think they're the best ones I own. I doubt I'll ever find another drugstore liquid lipstick that come anywhere near the Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink liquid lipsticks. They are long lasting, completely matte, quick drying, and non- transferring. I love that they never fade or come off until you use a makeup remover. I rate these a 10 out of 10 and would totally recommend!